Spanish, my mother tongue at the International Language Day

Even though my mother tongue is Spanish, when I do my readings I keep my mind and annotations in English. My method for doing a comprehensive reading is to use a marker for highlighting the most important ideas, and a pencil to underline secondary ideas. I also add some bars at the side of some paragraphs that are explanatory ideas of those secondary ideas even with the pencil or the marker in dependence of there is an idea referred to the main or the secondary idea.
In fact, I work with three levels of information:
Main ideas - highlighter
Secondary ideas - pencil
Explanatory ideas - (bars beside paragraphs – pencil or highlighter)
Although, as I explained above, I keep my mind in English by doing my readings, when I write a critique or I have to do an analysis of the readings, I use my own language. Indeed, I prepare an outline in Spanish to help me to make sense of what I read. In addition, based on the Spanish outline, I will be back to the English language to write my topic sentences and organize my paper.
In synthesis what I found is: my creativity and expression is based on my knowledge and confidence on my own mother tongue language which is Spanish. Then, I am able to follow my argumentation and writing papers in English. I feel confidence in my thinking process when I test my thoughts and understanding in Spanish. Spanish, my mother tongue is also the language that I use to express my feelings. Even though my kids speak English and French, we always speak in Spanish at home. Spanish is my langue for loving expressions.
"Te quiero Martin, te quiero Matias, Mamam"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home